Tia wants to do online shopping, but she doesn’t have enough money. However….🙈 Tia came across the option called BNPL, which means Buy Now, Pay Later ✨
Sounds interesting, right?
Buy things now, without paying full money immediately. What exactly is Buy Now, Pay Later? And how does it work? Let’s discuss this in detail.
Buy Now, Pay Later (BNPL) is a sort of short-term financing that allows you to buy things now and pay for them later, generally without incurring interest. BNPL arrangements, sometimes known as “point of sale instalment loans,” are becoming a more popular payment alternative, especially with shopping online.
How does it work?
Buy Now, Pay Later services are provided by different companies. Although each company has its own set of terms and conditions, in general, BNPL works like this:
1. Make a purchase at a participating retailer (who provides a BNPL facility)
2. Opt for the BNPL option
3. If approved, pay a small amount, let’s say 25% of the purchase value.
4. Pay the remaining amount in interest-free instalments.
What if you missed payments?
– The lender will charge interest on the outstanding amount if the buyer does not pay within the specified payback window.
– Late payment fees may be imposed as well.
– If you do not use this facility carefully, you may find yourself in debt.
– Any late payments will be recorded to the credit agency, lowering the buyer’s credit score.
– This might raise the cost of future loans or, even worse, cause lenders to reject any new loan applications.
The following are some advantages of BNPL:
– Affordability is increased
– Credit is available immediately
– The transaction is safe and secure
– Option to select a payback period
– EMI at no cost
– Impulse spending
– Late payment fees
– Late payments can affect credit scores and decrease the ability to apply for loans in the future.
– Spending money you don’t have
So should you opt BNPL facility?
Evaluate all the pros and cons carefully before opting for the BNPL facility. As it might help you to buy things without making full payments. However, you need to make sure that you pay them off on time and use this facility wisely.
Do let us know in the comment section below, will you opt for the BNPL option?
Smart Money October 5, 2022
10 Demons To Kill This Dussehra
Dusshera is one of the major Hindu festivals that also symbolizes the end of Navratri. The festival is celebrated as the victory of Lord Rama over Ravana. It also marks the triumph of Goddess Durga over the demon Mahishasura. So this festival symbolizes killing demons or destroying negative and bad habits we have in our […]
Smart Money September 27, 2022
Hacks to plan for a budget-friendly vacation!￼
In today’s world, everyone’s life is full of adventure, so there needs to be some relaxation along with fun in life. So, in order to release all day-to-day stress, one needs a break from their daily routine to refresh our mind. One such time is when Raj and Simran decided they needed a break from […]
Smart Money September 6, 2022
How To Invest & Build In Emergency Funds
Radhika: I am facing financial stress as there is a sudden unfortunate medical emergency. Apurva: Didn’t you have any emergency funds for such a crisis? Radhika: No! What do you mean by the emergency fund? You know what, I had to dig out money from my long-term investments. I am worried about how to tackle […]