Are you a newbie to the world of financial management and want answers to the basic questions on Portfolio Management Service? Here you go!
What is Portfolio Management Service (PMS)?
A PMS is essentially provided by licensed stockbroking companies where money managers of PMS, that are experts in the stock market, offer services to their clients. They take the entire responsibility of managing their portfolio. Their services include:
– Create a basket of stocks basis sectors/market cap, as per the expertise of the fund manager.
– Assign weightage/recommend changes basis there analysis.
– Track the market and invest client’s money for wealth generation.
What is the eligibility to invest in PMS?
– Investors must be an individual or a non-Individuals such as HUFs, partnerships firms, sole proprietorship firms, and Body Corporate.
– As per SEBI guidelines, the portfolio manager is required to accept a minimum of INR 50 Lacs or securities having a minimum worth of INR 50 Lacs from a client.
– A Non-Resident Indians (NRI) subjected to RBI approval – You need the following 3 accounts to invest in PMS:
- A PIS Bank Account (a normal bank account where your money resides),
- A Trading Account (a share broker account which allows you to trade in equity, F&O, etc. segments) and,
- A Demat account (it holds the equity shares purchased by you) Note: The rights to all these accounts will be with the Portfolio Manager (person responsible for handling your account)
Who is an ideal PMS Investor?
The Investment solutions provided by PMS cater to a niche segment of clients. These clients can be:
– Individuals or Institutions entities with a high net worth
– Investors looking to invest in asset classes like equity, fixed income, structured products, etc
– Investors who desire personalized investment solutions – Investors who desire long-term wealth creation – Investors who appreciate a high level of service
What fee can a portfolio manager charge from its clients?
SEBI (Portfolio Managers) Regulations, 2020 provide that the Portfolio Manager shall charge a fee as per the agreement with the client for rendering portfolio management services. However, no upfront fees shall be charged by the Portfolio Manager directly or indirectly to the clients. Other charges include:
– Management Fees
– Profit-Sharing % Charges
– Audit Charges
– Custodian Charges
– Transaction Brokerage Charges
– Demat Account Opening Charges
As a PMS investor, what you must know?
Apart from cash, the client can also hand over an existing portfolio of stocks, bonds, or mutual funds to a Portfolio Manager that could be revamped to suit his profile. However, the Portfolio Manager may at his own sole discretion sell the said existing securities in favor of fresh investments. With the benefits of PMS, comes the responsibility of decision making. You need to be more involved and proactive. While evaluating a PMS provider, understand the fund’s philosophy before you make a call. Exercise due diligence, choose a good company with a considerably long track record, fund management style, and philosophy.
Is there a lock-in for PMS?
Portfolio Managers cannot impose a lock-in on the investment of their clients. However, a Portfolio Manager can charge applicable exit fees from the client for an early exit, as laid down in the agreement subject to the provision of SEBI Circular.
Smart Money October 5, 2022
10 Demons To Kill This Dussehra
Dusshera is one of the major Hindu festivals that also symbolizes the end of Navratri. The festival is celebrated as the victory of Lord Rama over Ravana. It also marks the triumph of Goddess Durga over the demon Mahishasura. So this festival symbolizes killing demons or destroying negative and bad habits we have in our […]
Smart Money September 27, 2022
Hacks to plan for a budget-friendly vacation!￼
In today’s world, everyone’s life is full of adventure, so there needs to be some relaxation along with fun in life. So, in order to release all day-to-day stress, one needs a break from their daily routine to refresh our mind. One such time is when Raj and Simran decided they needed a break from […]
Smart Money September 6, 2022
How To Invest & Build In Emergency Funds
Radhika: I am facing financial stress as there is a sudden unfortunate medical emergency. Apurva: Didn’t you have any emergency funds for such a crisis? Radhika: No! What do you mean by the emergency fund? You know what, I had to dig out money from my long-term investments. I am worried about how to tackle […]